British imports to the US

Lynne Murphy m.l.murphy at SUSSEX.AC.UK
Thu Dec 28 14:33:28 UTC 2006

Hi all,

Over on my blog, I've called for nominations in the following categories
for "Words of the Year" "awards":

    * Most useful import from American English to British English
    * Most useful import from British English to American English
    * Best word invented by a reader of this blog

The first and last category aren't too hard to get nominations for, but the
middle one is tougher--esp. since I'm not around AmE speakers all that much
these days.  If you have any thoughts on BrE words that gained
popularity/use in AmE roundabout this year, please let me know--either by
e-mail or through the comments section of the blog:

http://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com/2006/12/word-of-year-update.html

And good wishes to those of you choosing the ADS WotY this year!

Lynne

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Senior Lecturer and Head of Department
Linguistics and English Language