Double modal

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Thu Dec 28 20:35:07 UTC 2006

Scot,

Perhaps not questioning, but "talking to" still suggests a
metalinguistic operation that might not be in play if people "just"
heard the construction (although one may never "just hear" the speech
of the linguistically different, as the famous Japanese Takesi Sibata
pointed ouit years ago). The transparency of "might be able to" =
"might could" seems obvious to me, but that may be from the point of
view of a native "might could" speaker.

dInIs

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Scot LaFaive <spiderrmonkey at HOTMAIL.COM>
>Subject:      Re: Double modal
>
>Sorry, I was just joking. There is nothing wrong with the double modal
>construction. It's just not used around here and I would say most
>Wisconsinites don't have it as part of their grammar (that's what I mean
>when I say "ungrammatical" for us). It's perfectly grammatical for others,
>such as yourself, since it is part of your grammar. I still say that most
>people around here get confused by double modals because they don't exist in
>their grammars and they are very foreign. Everyone I've talked to (not just
>questioned) around here seems to consider double modals semantically
>unintelligible, or at least confusing. It's just odd for us to use two
>modals like "might" and "could" together in a clause.
>Double modals are ok with me. Don't worry, I am not following in the
>footsteps Mr. Z here.
>
>Scot
>

>>From: Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at OHIO.EDU>
>>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>>Subject: Re: Double modal
>>Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 14:30:03 -0500

>>-----------------------
>>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>>Poster:       Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at OHIO.EDU>
>>Subject:      Re: Double modal
>>
>>Or do they stop to think about it only because you raise the issue?  I
>>don't see how it could be "unintelligible," and it's certainly not
>>"ungrammatical" to native users.  "All bad"--what does that mean???
>>
>>At 02:06 PM 12/28/2006, you wrote:
>>  >I don't know. Most fellow Northerners that I ask about the double modal
>>  >construction seem to stop and scratch their heads when hearing it. At
>>least
>>  >around here in Wisconsin it is quite noticeable and nearly unintelligible
>>  >(to us anyway). I've spent some time studying them recently and they
>>still
>>  >seem ungrammatical to my internal dialect. But I figure if Lee Majors
>>uses
>>  >them, they can't be all bad, can they?
>>  >
>>  >Scot
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >>From: Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at OHIO.EDU>
>>  >>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>  > >>Subject: Re: Double modal
>  > >>Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 13:49:49 -0500
>  > >>
>  > >>---------------------- Information from the mail header
>  > >>-----------------------
>  > >>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>>  >>Poster:       Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at OHIO.EDU>
>>  >>Subject:      Re: Double modal
>>  >>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>  >>
> [...]

It should be the chief aim of a university professor to exhibit
himself in his own true character - that is, as an ignorant man [sic]
thinking, actively utilizing his small share of knowledge. Alfred
North Whitehead

There are many different religions in this world, but if you look at
them carefully, you'll see that they all have one thing in common:
They were invented by a giant, superintelligent slug named Dennis.
Homer Simpson

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English