Just wondering

GSCole gscole at ARK.SHIP.EDU
Fri Dec 29 23:43:07 UTC 2006

In my mind, a purse is smaller than a pocketbook; a purse may be carried
inside of a pocketbook.  A coin purse is the smallest purse of which I'm
aware; small enough to be carried in a trouser side pocket.

George Cole
Shippensburg University

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society on behalf of Brenda Lester
Sent: Fri 29-Dec-06 17:19
Subject:      Re: [ADS-L] Just wondering

2) "Pocketbook" and "purse" are interchangeable.
  I've always considered a purse to be smaller than a pocketbook. A
pocketbook has all your work-a-day junk in it; a purse is for a few
necessary items.

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
2) Is there anyone for whom the words "pocketbook" and "purse" denote
different objects? Not "can" or 'could," but _do_.

-Wilson
http://mail.yahoo.com