vacate and other terms

Barbara H Hudson bhhudson at AUXMAIL.IUP.EDU
Sat Feb 4 15:33:58 UTC 2006

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 00:04:45 -0500
  Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> wrote:

this reminds me of the way some AA people use the word "conversate" to
mean talking to someone.

    ex. I was conversating with this young lady, when....

While I'm here, I wonder if others have heard or seen the term
"funeralize"  For example.  He died Thursday morning, and he will be
funeralized this Saturday.

Finally how about the term "blase blase"  (pronounced BLAH ZAY BLAH
ZAY) to mean unspecified chatter  (kind of like the way they used
"yadda yadda" on Seinfeld). ex:  I was telling her how it happend, I
go, "blase blase" and she said, .....


Barbara Hill Hudson, PH.D
Professor Emerita
Department of English
Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP)

The American Dialect Society -

More information about the Ads-l mailing list