vacate and other terms -and ambiguity

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Feb 5 01:27:59 UTC 2006

I listen when I can. Simply for the data, you understand.

  And there's lots of it.

  JL

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: vacate and other terms -and ambiguity

"Conversate" isn't just for AA people, anymore. It's *far* more widespread
than that. Doesn't anybody here except me watch _The Jerry Springer Show_ e=
sim.? These programs are a great source of un-monitored non-standard speech=
.
Well, not a great source, since it's not always possible to know where the
speakers are from. But it is possible to tell what kind of phonetics and
vocabulary are used by what broad groups, whether men, women, black, white,
Latin, gay, straight, etc.

-Wilson