Wagashi (Japanese sweets)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Feb 5 19:03:18 UTC 2006

WAGASHI--79,200 Google hits
There is a discussion of "Wagashi" on Gothamist.com today. "Wagashi" has
been around forever in Japan, but is still not in the OED ("miserable on  food").
I had planned to do an internet food dictionary/encyclopedia, but given  that
my work has made me penniless (and is usually taken without credit), I'm
under orders to throw everything in this apartment out.
If all the Culinary Historians finally want to finally get together with me
and do the internet food/drink dictionary (a scholarly food Wikipedia
project),  I guess I can do that for free in my spare time from parking  tickets...
;..
_http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2006/02/05/get_your_wagash.php#comments_
(http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2006/02/05/get_your_wagash.php#comments)
Last summer we were in Tokyo, and we got addicted to Japanese desserts. Most
of it is made from sweet red bean paste wrapped in various kinds of dough.
When  we got back, we were majorly fiending for it-- total case of the dessert
DTs.  Luckily, we noticed that the Sunrise Market on Broome Street stocks
plenty of  simple wagashi-- and fairly reasonably priced at $1-$3/piece, depending
on the  size. If you are looking for something a little more sophisticated,
check out  the _wagashi  made by Toraya_
(http://www.toraya-group.co.jp/english/wagashi/types.html) -- they've been making candy in Japan since the 1600s, and
you  can buy their stuff at _two locations  in New York_
(http://www.toraya-group.co.jp/english/shops/index.html#usa) .
Posted by _Jake Dobkin_ (http://www.gothamist.com/staff.php#jake)  in _Food_
(http://www.gothamist.com/archives/food/)  |
(GOOGLE)
_Wagashi -  Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagashi)      A selection of wagashi to be served  during a Japanese tea
ceremony. Wagashi (Japanese: 和菓子) is a  general term for traditional Japanese
confectionery, ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagashi - 14k -  _Cached_
(http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:RFQR12-Q0lEJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagashi+wagashi&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&
cd=6&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagashi)
_About  Wagashi_ (http://www.kitchoan.com/E/wagashi.html)      The origin of
Wagashi dates back to the  Yayoi Era (BC300-AC300), ... “Wagashi” was greatly
 influenced by the grain processing skills that were introduced  ...
www.kitchoan.com/E/wagashi.html - 7k -  _Cached_
(http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:RiCTLGQRAJEJ:www.kitchoan.com/E/wagashi.html+wagashi&hl=en&gl=us&ct=cl
nk&cd=1&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.kitchoan.com/E/wagashi.html)

_Types of Wagashi | TORAYA Confectionery_
(http://www.toraya-group.co.jp/english/wagashi/types.html)      The extensive world of wagashi,  traditional
Japanese confections dose not merely encompass a single group  of confections; the
art of Japanese confectionery ...
www.toraya-group.co.jp/english/wagashi/types.html -  17k - Feb 3, 2006 -
_Cached_
(http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:eGCGzPYt-CcJ:www.toraya-group.co.jp/english/wagashi/types.html+wagashi&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=2&ie=UTF-8)  -
_Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.toraya-group.co.jp/english/wagashi/types.html)
_Wagashi - Japanese Sweets_ (http://japanesefood.about.com/b/a/046896.htm)
  Japanese sweets are called wa-gashi in Japanese,  and western-style sweets
are called yo-gashi. Japanese Sweets/Desserts  Photo © 2005 Setsuko Yoshizuka,
japanesefood.about.com/b/a/046896.htm - 28k -  _Cached_
(http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:FLpGYk59jUkJ:japanesefood.about.com/b/a/046896.htm+wagashi&hl=e
n&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=5&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:japanesefood.about.com/b/a/046896.htm)
(PROQUEST)
_GOING  OUT Guide_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=1&did=80052234&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1139165454&clientI
d=65882)
New York Times (1857-Current file). New  York, N.Y.: Jun 12, 1975. p. 32 (1
page) :
MATTER OF TASTE.
Wagashi, anybody? These are Japanese cakes, with an artistic value of their
own, served at the tea ceremony, a national cultural tradition. Made from
sweetened bean paste, the wagashi are molded into delicately shaped flowers,
plants, leaves and mini-landscapes, with striking variations in color and
texture.