foment

Tom Vincent tomrvincent at YAHOO.COM
Tue Feb 7 15:35:27 UTC 2006

Is there a 'tipping point' concept among linguists to determine when using a verb as a noun or adjective becomes an acceptable usage, recognized variant or whatnot?

  Tom

Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Jonathan Lighter
Subject: foment

Marc Ginsberg, former U.S. ambassador to Morrocco, observed a few minutes ago (on _Fox & Friends_, natch), that there's "a lot of foment in the Muslim world." He then said most Americans are unaware of just how much "foment" there is, so it wasn't just a slip of the tongue.

The Net reveals a few dozen independent exx.

JL

Tom Vincent

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - Franklin Roosevelt