"It's alive!"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 7 20:21:43 UTC 2006

George, when I first heard it, it was used almost precisely as
described in HDAS. A couple of GI's were wolfing in the run-up to a
bar fight. One said something like, "Keep fucking with me and I'm
going to get in your ass!" To which his opponent replied, "You got to
bring ass to get ass!" I've always felt that the original sense was,
if you're close enough for you to hurt me, then you're close enough
for me to hurt you. Indeed, on today's Springer Show, this was spoken
by a woman in the audience in reply to threat from a woman on the
stage.

-Wilson