I need your help!

chris shaw shawck at CHARTER.NET
Thu Feb 9 20:27:21 UTC 2006

I am writing a children's story, and have anthropomorphized letters of the alphabet.  I have a need to make my letters move their "arms, legs, and dots," as well as any other letter "body" part that might be able to move.

Are there names for the different parts of a letter, such as the legs of an A, or the individual two lines of a T, etc. etc.  What about the dot on an i, as well as the curve on the bottom of the letter J?  My linguistics professors at UWEC suggested I contact this listserv --- that you fine folks have all the right answers!  Is there a reference I can find for these names, or does one of you have a handy cheat sheet for this?

If the parts don't have names (and what doesn't have a name in this world?  :-) if you think you have a couple good names to use for parts, feel free to share these as well...I'm more than happy to use really neat fictitious names as well.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!  Most of all, my characters thank you too!

chris shaw

The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

More information about the Ads-l mailing list