I need your help!

Mullins, Bill AMRDEC Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL
Thu Feb 9 21:13:58 UTC 2006

> I am writing a children's story, and have anthropomorphized
> letters of = the alphabet.  I have a need to make my letters
> move their "arms, legs, = and dots," as well as any other
> letter "body" part that might be able to = move.
> Are there names for the different parts of a letter, such as
> the legs of = an A, or the individual two lines of a T, etc.
> etc.  What about the dot = on an i, as well as the curve on
> the bottom of the letter J?  My = linguistics professors at
> UWEC suggested I contact this listserv --- = that you fine
> folks have all the right answers!  Is there a reference I =
> can find for these names, or does one of you have a handy
> cheat sheet = for this?
> If the parts don't have names (and what doesn't have a name
> in this = world?  :-) if you think you have a couple good
> names to use for parts, = feel free to share these as
> well...I'm more than happy to use really = neat fictitious
> names as well.

stems, ascenders, descenders, diacritical marks

This glossary:


has some terms that you are probably looking for.

The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

More information about the Ads-l mailing list