I need your help!

Grant Barrett gbarrett at WORLDNEWYORK.ORG
Fri Feb 10 05:17:02 UTC 2006

We totally missed a chance to mislead this fellow.

I'd say the curve on the J is the "chiv," the feet on an upper-case M
are the "brass knuckles" and the bulge on an uppercase P is sometimes
known as a "sapper."

On Feb 9, 2006, at 23:30, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> I'd call the upright part of the letter "J" the "shank" and the
> curved part the "hook" or "bend." I'd also call any horizontal line
> a "horizontal" and any vertical line a "vertical." The lower part
> of a "U" I'd call the "bend" or the "arc."  A "V," on the other
> hand, I'd say has a "point" or an "angle."

Grant Barrett
gbarrett at worldnewyork.org

The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

More information about the Ads-l mailing list