Not quite, but quite close

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Fri Feb 10 16:03:42 UTC 2006

Funny, I read Wilson's post as a comment on the diphthong in "going"
having an unexpected nucleus /OI/ rather than /aI/, not the non-standard
/w/ onset. I'm more familiar with this alternation in British than
American dialectology (Labov's LINE/LOIN stuff), but it does occur
elsewhere. Of course, as the spelling "gwine" *is* stereotypical, it
doesn't tell us anything about what the actual vowel nucleus was in
these interviews.

Alice Faber                                    faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                           tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                        fax (203) 865-8963