WPA Slave Narratives and spelling

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Feb 10 16:29:15 UTC 2006

A caution here:  the narratives were transcribed
by whites, probably mainly middle-class and at
least some from the North (in addition to the
obvious problems of constructing spelling from
utterances).  A very interesting chapter on the
issues posed to historians who use these
narratives is in "After the Fact: The Art of
Historical Detection", by James West Davidson and
Mark Hamilton Lytle (McGraw Hill, 1992), Chapter
Seven, "The View from the Bottom Rail".

Joel