Alan Baragona abaragona at SPRYNET.COM
Fri Feb 10 17:32:53 UTC 2006

Is there a technical term for an acronym that people usually no longer recognize as having been derived from intials (most obviously "laser")?  When a word like "hlafweard" becomes "lauerd" and then "lord" and is no longer recognized as a compound, we call it an amalgamated compound, so is there any equivalent term for acronyms that have gone through an analogous process of what you might call "loss of etymology recognition"?

Alan Baragona

The American Dialect Society -

More information about the Ads-l mailing list