Antedating of "Pastrami"

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun Feb 12 14:59:40 UTC 2006

Unless I have missed something, I think the OED3's 1920 citation is the
earliest for the spelling "pastrami," with other spellings traced back to
1912.  Here's a 1916 hit for "pastrami" on Newspaperarchive:

1916 _Syracuse Herald_ 16 Jan. 5 (Newpaperarchive)
Even so, Zapp, there's lots of fellers in the delicatessen business which
is obliged to run automobile deliveries, and for every penny they've got
to pay more on gasoline, they stick two cents a pound on pastrami oder
Frankfurters.

Fred Shapiro