"balls to the wall"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 13 01:28:09 UTC 2006

"... early mechanical engine governors that spun metal balls in a
growing circle as the engine speed increased."

Depends upon what you mean by "early." I remember such governors from
my days at the Harbor Steam Plant of the Los Angeles Department of
Water and Power. They ensured that the turbines of steam
turbo-electric generators did not spin at more than 3600 r.p.m., lest
centrifugal forces cause them to fly apart.

-Wilson