"Puck" (hockey, 1886)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Feb 13 04:37:55 UTC 2006

What does the revised OED have? The old OED has 1891, but I can look at
better sources.
_THE  REFEREE.; His Thoughts, Opinions and Expressions on Matters of Sporting
 Interest. _
The National Police Gazette  (1845-1906). New York: Mar 20, 1886. Vol. VOLUME
XLVII, Iss. No. 444.; p.  11 (1 page) :
In hockey a flat piece of rubber, say four inches long by three wide and
about an inch thick, called a "puck," is used.

The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

More information about the Ads-l mailing list