On Language on Heck

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Mon Feb 13 15:49:24 UTC 2006

I think this "heck" is probably a different one from the euphemism
we're familiar with.  The Scottish National Dictionary reports an
interjectional "heck" that is "a call to a horse to turn to the left" . . .
also used as verb and figuratively of persons . . . Found in n. Engl.
dials."