Where they drove...

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Wed Feb 15 14:49:39 UTC 2006

Wilson, you are right in pointing out that this is a joke, but isn't
the history of the language full of jokes. Some of us well-educated
wags started saying something in one generation, and the next (poorly
educated, it goes without saying) generations didn't get our
cutting-edge humor and instituted a change  in the language. I take
this to be a case of apparent change from above that turns out to be
actually change from below (obviating the need for me to return to my
sociolinguistics classes with yet another counter-example to the
change-from-below norm).

dInIs

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor