"Fair Use" Not in OED

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Wed Feb 15 14:51:41 UTC 2006

        I don't think I'm in disagreement with Jon or dInIs here.
Specifically, I agree that a term like "fair use" was lexicalized as a
distinct sense only when it had acquired a technical application.  But I
think a few points are worth making:

        1.      Terms evolve.  When we say "fair use," we mean pretty
much the "fair use" discussed in Lawrence v. Dana (1869).  But the court
and the parties in that case meant the same "fair use" that was
discussed in Curtis (1847) and Henley (1821).  They didn't see their use
of the term as being fundamentally different.

        2.      In fact, the uses by Curtis and Henley are recognizable
to us, even though the term had not yet been lexicalized as a distinct
sense.  Yes, from the point of view of Curtis and Henley, they didn't
have to say "fair use"; they could have said, for example, "fair
copying."  But, as it happened, they did use the term that has become
familiar to us.

        3.      The precision of these writings makes it relatively easy
to see what's going on here.  That's not necessarily typical.

        4.      Not a point, but a question for our lexicographers:  In
a case like this, how far back should the history of a term be traced?
Should we think of "fair use" as going back to 1821, or only to 1869?
Is the answer different for a dictionary like the OED, which gives
quotes, than for a dictionary like M-W, which just gives a date?

John Baker