"Fair Use" Not in OED

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Wed Feb 15 15:17:47 UTC 2006

These points are well-taken:

1) When did the "phrase" evolve into a "term" and how can we tell?
That the term also has an history is not at all surprising of course,
but that was not my original carping.

2) No doubt many such terms arise accidentally; other phrases would
have done just as well.

3) We're lucky. And in many cases in historical linguistics we
analogize from better documented to less well documented cases to
establish methods.

4) For me this is the point. What allows us to determine the
establishment of the term as a term? I'm still just fishin.

dInIs

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English