learn something new every day

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Feb 15 15:59:38 UTC 2006

One of OED's cites for "the last of pea-time" comes from a book called _Voodoo Tales_.

  Just saying.

  JL

Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Laurence Horn
Subject: learn something new every day

I reproduce this message (sans link) from the daily spam collection:

================
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 8:15: 6 -0330
From: "Genevieve Swain"

What are you to do if you have bad erection? Especially
in the forthcoming Saint Valentines Day???
Don t worry, it is not the last of pea-time...
The most simple way is to visit our site, order the
medication and that is all you are to do!

Do not kill the clock!

(You'll note that this was sent the day after Valentine's Day; never
to early to plan ahead for next year, it appears.)
Being wholly unfamiliar with the phrase, but assuming in the context
it was not a typo for "the last of pee-time", I googled it, and sure
enough "(like) the last of pea-time" has 157 g-hits, many with
glosses along the line of 'elderly, old, senile'. Go know.

Larry

 Yahoo! Mail