Phat

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 17 16:51:22 UTC 2006

I'm almost afraid to go over it, again. Don't you recall the big fight
that we had over  this  when I was still a "newk," as we used to say
at the language school.

Anyway, a cousin of mine was visiting from the Bronx. Cuz asked me
whether I was hip to "fat" as a complimentary term for girl. After I
said no, how can this be? cuz went on to explain that it wasn't f-a-t,
but actually p-h-a-t-t, for girls who had not only pussy, but who had
also hips, ass, and thigh. "Thigh" was construed in the singular, as
in the phrase, "puts forth a mean thigh," said of a girl who was
possessed of what my ace-boon of those days used to refer to as "those
mee-tee, mee-tee thighs." I.e., a girl who is phat(t) would be fat by
Eoropean-American standards This was some time during the summer of
1950. That was the only time that I ever heard this usage till neo-rap
and hip-hop became fresh in the '70's or whenever.

As to whether "phat(t)" is initial-slang, further deponent sayeth not.
Been there, done that.

-Wilson