Re: creaky voice

Sat Feb 18 17:49:29 UTC 2006

Thanks--I obviously missed the earlier discussion. Toclarify my earlier
comments: folks in the North Carolina Language and Life Project have been reporting
creaky voice among NC African-American males as a way of asserting
masculinity (as I remember the paper). Also, Norma Mendoza-Denton has been studying
creaky voice as a feature of the speech of young Hispanic females in the US
Southwest.