Fwd: [CreoleTalk] Question: Irish American Vernacular English

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 19 04:06:27 UTC 2006

FWIW, I also wonder how one would account phonologically for the shift
of Irish _teas_, pronounced approximately "chass," to English "jazz."
On the other hand, deriving "jazz" from "jasm," using ordinary,
well-attested, English phonological rules, is no more difficult than
accounting for the precisely-parallel development of "jizz" from
"jism" in the same manner.

It seems to me that the application of Ockham's Razor is sufficient to
shave away [pun intended; and I'm the first to admit that it's a
pretty weak effort, but what the hey, nothing beats a try but a
failure] the need to provide a derivation from a foreign tongue.

-Wilson