"Bible Christians"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 22 02:33:31 UTC 2006

FWIW, Japanese has made a distinction between "Christianity" (=
Protestantism) and "Catholicism," since at least the '60's, when I happened
to buy a copy of the standard, published-in-Japan-by-Japanese
Japanese-English dictionary. During the time that I spent in a Catholic
school (not a "parochial school," since that school was, at the time, for
whites only) in the '40's, it was never clear to me that there was a
necesssary connection between the "Catholic faith" and Christianity =
Protestantantism. When I got to high school, I was taken a bit unawares by
the fact that the Jesuits did regard the phrase, "Christian Church," as
merely another way of saying, "Roman Catholiic Church."

However, that was basically an anomaly. My personal experience as a Catholic
converted from Methodism ca.1942 is that "Christianity," in the United
States, generally refers only to Protestant Christianity, unless Catholicism
and Orthodoxy are specifically mentioned. If I saw a reference to
"Christian" singles, it would never occur to me that the reference was meant
include Catholic singles. And, as you suggest, the reference might not even
include singles from so-called "mainline" Protestant churches , such as the
Methodist Church.

-Wilson