"Tristan" now feminine given name

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Feb 22 22:12:33 UTC 2006

Brenda,

  As you may remember from a few weeks back, trendsetters in this department were the parents of film actress "Tristen [sic] Skyler" (born in the ' 70s) and of sex columnist "Tristan Taormino" (probably another ' 70s baby - just guessing).

  I'm sure that "Tristan and Isolde" mean nothing to 99.9% of today's Americans.

  Nor does "Medea," so watch out !

  Jon

Brenda Lester <alphatwin2002 at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Brenda Lester
Subject: Re: "Tristan" now feminine given name

They like the sound of it, AND Kristen has run its course

FRITZ JUENGLING wrote: My goodness!! What's next?--Siegfried? Hagen? How about Etzel?

>>> wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM 2/22/2006 11:46 AM >>>
About a half hour ago CNN interviewed a young woman named "Tristan Carter," who looked to be about nineteen..

Of interest is that the interviewer stressed the final, making the name sound as though it were spelled "Trist-Ann."

Ms. Carter's sister is "Toryn."

JL