Query: 1910 "squeeze my bit"

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Thu Feb 23 02:53:09 UTC 2006

 Would anyone have any idea what "squeeze my bit" means in the last of the following lines? (They're excerpted from a baseball poem "Letters To A Magnate--No. 1--From a Would-Be Recruit"; I omit the first two verses):

"I'm a wiz at playing shortstop, in the outfield I can shine.
Pitch?  Well, say, bo; you should see me toss 'em over on a line.
        Once I fanned out twenty-seven
        In a row--the next eleven
Knocked out weak ones to the infield--not a chance to get a hit.
So just send me on the contract--but don't try to squeeze my bit."

Gerald Cohen
P.S. There are three more verses. Also, the poem was drawn to my attention by Barry Popik.  It appears in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, April 10, 1910, p. 7, cols. 4-5.