"own it for a limited time"

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Tue Feb 28 14:25:49 UTC 2006

        Google comes to the rescue:  Ben may have misheard this one, but
it is found in a few places on the Web, mostly but not entirely for
DVDs.

        DVD:  "House on Haunted Hill will not be available in stores
until later this year. But you can own it for a limited time only
exclusively through Legend Films."  http://www.legendfilms.net/hohh.html

        DVD:  "Carnival of Souls IN COLOR will not be available in
stores until next year.  But you can own it for a limited time only
exclusively through Off Color Films."
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60289&item=382940
9440

        Custom wheel:  "The Double G 210 is a substitute for the
discontinued giovanna mito rim. It has a sport look as well as a lot of
flash. This wheel was a huge success as the giovanna mito, now you can
own it for a limited time as the double g 210."
http://www.thewheelconnection.com/php/showwheel.php?name=210&brand=DBL-G
&brandsearch=1

        More intuitive uses are also found.  For example:

        "So, in reality, I don't own a copy of Me, I'm using Compaq's
copy until my computer dies?  Originally, I was under the impression
that all the software was included in the purchase price I paid for the
computer to begin with. . . . [I]t just seems that if you own something
you should own it, and be able to do what you want to with it - not own
it for a limited time or just own a non-existant thing that truly
vanishes when part of it becomes unusable."
http://hardware.mcse.ms/message228015.html

John Baker