Antedating of "baseball" (except Jane Austen)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Feb 28 15:14:16 UTC 2006

Given the Austen citation, I am not surprised that there are earlier
ones, from England I presume.  What struck me--but I didn't say in my
much before the OED3's first American citation of 1870.  (As for
"base ball" vs. "baseball", the 1870 citation is hyphenated, perhaps
indicating a period of transition from two words to one?)

Is the 1861 citation therefore of the American game, rather than the British?

Joel