Oral history on "uptight" (1966)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jan 1 00:19:07 UTC 2006

That's *de*scriptive, not *pre* !  For me, anyway !

  JL

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: Oral history on "uptight" (1966)

The rule said that -

If the sublect of a sentence is of the form, _a_ number [of people], then
the verb must be plural: _a_ number [of people] _are_ sitting in the stands=
.

If the subject of a sentence is of the form, _the_ number [of people, then
the verb must be singular: _the_ number [of people] sitting in the stands
_is_ small.

-Wilson

On 12/31/05, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Jonathan Lighter
> Subject: Re: Oral history on "uptight" (1966)

------

> Wilson, your prescriptive rule is stated too abstractly for my tired
> brain. It doesn't seem familiar, though. Examples would help.
>
> JL
>
> Wilson Gray wrote:
> -----------------------
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Wilson Gray
> Subject: Re: Oral history on "uptight" (1966)

------

> I didn't know that there was a source novel till now. Thanks for the
> information. Nevertheless, I would be shocked and chagrined to find
> that an example of BE slang that I myself didn't become familiar with
> till after I got out of the Army in 1962 had already appeared in print
> in a book written by, presumably, a white author a year earlier.
>
> I have no idea as to when the film was produced, but a random
> assortment of googled sources give the *release* date as 1965, the
> year in which I saw it.
>
> BTW, did you ever have to learn a prescriptive rule that stated that
> forms like "the number of, the assortment of" requiire a singular
> verb, whereas forms like "a number of, an assortment of" require a
> plural verb? I learned it so well that I no longer have any intuitions
> about such forms. I routinely and consciously apply the rule, which I
> learned in high school.
>
> -Wilson
>
> On 12/30/05, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
> -----------------------
> > Sender: American Dialect Society
> > Poster: Jonathan Lighter
> > Subject: Re: Oral history on "uptight" (1966)

------

> > The film was produced in 1964.
> >
> > A search at Amazon.com does not reveal the presence of "uptight," "up
> tight," or "up-tight" in Edward Lewis Wallant's source novel (1961).
> >
> > JL
> >
> > Wilson Gray wrote:
> -----------------------
> > Sender: American Dialect Society
> > Poster: Wilson Gray
> > Subject: Re: Oral history on "uptight" (1966)

------

> > On 12/29/05, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:

> > > -----------------------
> > > Sender: American Dialect Society
> > > Poster: Benjamin Zimmer
> > > Subject: Oral history on "uptight" (1966)

=3D
> > ------
> > >
> > > A few months ago Wilson Gray initiated a thread on the change in
> > > connotation of "uptight" from positive ('excellent') to negative
> > > ('tense, on edge'). This change apparently occurred sometime in the
> > > mid-'60s, despite the 1934 cite given in the OED from J. M. Cain's
> > > _The Postman Always Rings Twice_ ("I'm getting up tight now, and I've
> > > been thinking about Cora"). Jon Lighter speculated that, given the
> > > context, the Cain cite actually meant 'up close (to my imminent
> [...]

-Wilson Gray