Antedating of "Industrialist"

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun Jan 1 21:07:29 UTC 2006

industrialist (OED 1864)

1841 _Arcturus: A Journal of Books and Opinion_ June 49 (American
Periodical Series)  I am delighted to see that the vain, and as I am
convinced, irreligious notions, of the Industrialists, whith their
pedantry and nauseous distinctions, are treated with that scornful
instinct that teaches us to punish vanity so amplified, coming in wisdom's
garb.

Fred Shapiro