"Clique": kleek? klick?

Chris Waigl cwaigl at FREE.FR
Tue Jan 3 05:41:43 UTC 2006

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 00:10:11 -0500, Laurence Horn typed:

> Just checked with the nearest set of young persons/siblings here
> (not counting the cats, who remained mum); son (23) and daughter
> (21) both use "click" and claim to be unaware of any alternatives.
> Guess they didn't inherit my French-major tense-vowel gene, which
> is doubtless recessive.

I asked a bunch of people, all, I think, in their twenties:

One brought up in California and living there (but born in Poland,
male), one from New Orleans (male, white), one brought up in the
South, living in Las Vegas (female, black): "nitch" and "click". The
last one is a white South African native speaker (female); she says
"neesh" and "click".

Chris Waigl