So, is there a new use of so?

Indigo Som indigo at WELL.COM
Tue Jan 3 21:18:22 UTC 2006

>The best recent literary example I can think of, which also corresponds to
>Jason's woman's usage, is Seamus Heaney, whose translation of Beowulf
>translates the opening word, Hwaet, as "So!"  Definitely, an "I'm starting
>now" function.

Heaney's introductory essay in that book includes some discussion of
his decision to use that "so" there. Also around the same time (give
or take a year or 2) I remember Aimee Bender beginning a story the
same way. (I think it's her novel, An Invisible Sign of My Own.)
These instances were striking to me because I'm used to hearing "so"
used like that in speech, but hadn't remembered seeing it written. Or
at least, never so effectively.
--
Indigo Som
indigo at well.com
http://www.indigosom.com

Poets don't have hobbies; they have obsessions --Leonard Nathan