Wife's eggcorn

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jan 3 22:02:02 UTC 2006

"Son of a whore" is old in English, older perh. than "son of a bitch."

  I heard it once or twice in New England about thirty years ago, and the recent fictional exx. I've seen are all from that area - esp. from Maine.

  JL

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: Wife's eggcorn

I've heard tell that, up - or "down east" - in Maine, men use "son of
a whore" instead of the standard "son of a bitch" which is like the
Russian "sukin syn," literally "bitch's son." And, of course, there's
the "motherfucker," occasionally pseudo-euphemized as "mammyjammer,"
preferred by gentlemen of color. "Pseudo-" because "mammy" is, in and
of itself, insulting and "jammer" is pretty much identical to
"fucker."

-Wilson