"of" for "have" in "would have" constructions

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Tue Jan 3 22:27:34 UTC 2006

Would you call these student uses standard or nonstandard?   The
M-W Collegiate entry labels the word as nonstandard, which
basically means that it wouldn't appear without some kind of
stigma in professionally-edited prose.  That is not meant to imply
that it couldn't appear in nonstandard writing unselfconsciously,
though.

Joanne Despres
Merriam-Websteer