"Clique": kleek? klick?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 4 03:51:10 UTC 2006

On 1/3/06, Alice Faber <faber at haskins.yale.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Alice Faber <faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "Clique": kleek? klick?
>
> Click, nitch, feesh here.

I'm down with that. But, "fiche" raises - or should that be "begs"?
;-) another question: is "fiche" not a count noun? I have always known
it to be a count noun: ten fiches. But, after having heard tens of
thousands of examples of, e.g  "ten sheets/pieces/layers/hits, etc.
_of fiche_" from people of all age groups, including my own of
senior-citizen, all of whom had a least a high-school diploma, I've
begun to fear that the sands of language change have once again
shifted under my feet.

-Wilson Gray