"Andrea"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 4 20:56:04 UTC 2006

For a very long time, it seems to me, a distinction was made between English
"ANdrea," a feminine name, and Italian "anDREa," a masculine name equivalent
to English "Andrew." Recently, I've noticed that there are a lot of women
and girls being addressed as "anDREa." Now, I've just heard an
Italian-American guy named Salvatore Piazza refer to his wife as "anDREa."
If the distinction no longer matters even among Italian-Americans, what can
you do? Another one bites the dust. Sigh.

-Wilson Gray