"Ripping and running"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 5 07:33:00 UTC 2006

Jon,

Do you have this in HDAS? I've always considered it to be a
regionalism rather than slang, since my good, Krishtan,
non-slang-using grandparents used to say it. But it's not in DARE.
However, it is in Google as the title of a song: "Rippin' an'
Runnin'," by Shirley Scott; and as a book title: "Ripping and
Running," by Michael Agar. (I own this book and it has a brief
appendix of slang terms relating to the use of heroin or "harron," the
hip pronunciation of today.} Google also has it in various obscure
slang uses that have no relation at all to my grandmother's use of it
to my brother and me: "Y'all stop all that rippin' an' runnin' befo'
y'all be done got yo' clothes all dirty!"

If you do have it, do you have a definition for it?

-Wilson