Hawaiianisms; righteous

Fri Jan 6 21:55:31 UTC 2006

A few items I saw recently on Maui were:

"broke da mouth", meaning delicious. It appears to be used in non-HPC
(Hawaiian Pidging Creole), though the only citation I noted is from Stinger
Ray's Tropical Bar & Grill at the Kahului airport, where they use broke da
mouth to describe a sandwich. This is also the name of a bakery in Kahului.

At Broke da Mouth, the hours sign says "gone to golfing" for Sunday. Not
sure if that's a common construction there. The owner also told me he pays a
"camp fee" in addition to rent. My guess is that camp fee means utilities
(and/or other fees such as the health department), but I have no context.

In Kihei, I spotted a "hamburg" dish. I suppose that's the same as the
Japanese hambaagu, made by cooking a mixture of ground beef, vegetables and
sauce.

bake macaroni - spotted in Pa'ia (probably at the grocery store Mana); this
construction seems similar to shave ice.

speed table - spotted on a traffic sign. Was told a speed table is flatter
than a speed hump or speed bump.

Maui wow-ee/Maui wowee - a drink as well as a local marijuana.

haupia is now being made into ice cream by Roselani. Delicious!

hopia - Despite the recipes on
http://asiapacificuniverse.com/asia_pacific/messages18/895.html and
http://www.inq7.net/lif/2004/mar/11/lif_5-1.htm, the hopia at Four Sisters
Bakery in Wailuku are made with caramelized onions.

In the movie "Just Like Heaven" (on the plane coming back), Jon Heder says
"righteous" several times. This word seems to mean something like "cool",
though it sounded like the connotation was a little different. Perhaps this
is surfer lingo.

* * * * *
Benjamin Barrett
Baking the World a Better Place