Truthiness is the 2005 Word of the Year

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jan 7 14:16:20 UTC 2006

I prophesize (I never prophesy anymore) that if "truthiness" lasts it will come to mean "some degree of truth."  Cf. what happened to "factoid," from "erroneous popular assumption" to "fun fact."

  I also prophesize that it won't last except as a joke.

  JL  "Sees All, Knows Nothing"

Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Bapopik at AOL.COM
Subject: Re: Truthiness is the 2005 Word of the Year

This is pathetic. Are you guys that desperate to get on tv (well, Comedy
Central)? "Truthiness"??
Last year, when "tsunami" (Dec. 25) was forgotten and almost disqualified, I
was promised that it would get some consideration this year. But, of course,
it didn't.
Truthiness??
That's one reason why I don't bother to go to these things.