'Yesteryear' in Detroit

Geoff Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Sun Jan 8 17:44:42 UTC 2006

Automatic digest processor [well, actually, it was Wilson...] wrote:

> Re: yesteryear
> From:
> Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
> Date:
> Sat, 7 Jan 2006 00:10:36 -0500
>

>I, too, remember well "those thrilling days of yesteryear" from radio
>days, to the extent of being able to recall that "Cheerioats"[sic] was
>the sponsor. I was never interested in the TV verssion because the
>voices were different, ditto "Gunsmoke." That "Chester" had the same
>voice was barely enough to git 'er done for me. When Chester was
>replaced by "Fester" or whoever, that
>was the end.

It's somewhat OT, but the English Department at Wayne State University
(home of many linguists, half of the Linguistlist, and yours truly) is
currrently located in 5057 Woodward, the Maccabees Building.  Right on
the ground floor, next to the elevators I take several days a week, is
the studio from which these fabled 'thrilling days of yesteryear'
emanated.  There is, alas, no historical plaque, but there is certainly
a memory that the Lone Ranger was broadcast live (I think) from that
space.  There's still a massive radio antenna on the roof, but it now
broadcasts an AM station used by the Detroit Public Schools, about which
the less said the better.

Geoff

--
Geoffrey S. Nathan
Department of English/Computing and Information Technology