Truthiness

James callan james.callan at COMCAST.NET
Sun Jan 8 20:41:20 UTC 2006

>         Does "truthiness" really have defenders as a WOTY?

If you look at the WotY press release, "truthiness" received 32 votes
in the initial balloting and 66 in the next round. So I'd guess there
are at least 66 defenders. ("Katrina" received 36 votes, then 22.)

> This kind of nonce-word, a comic alteration of "truthfulness,"
> seems quintessentially
> ephemeral and limited to its originator.

I'd imagine that's why there's a separate category for word "most
likely to succeed," which this year was sudoku.

>         Incidentally, Google Groups reveals that the word, though
> doubtless independently re-created by Stephen Colbert or his writers,
> did have some degree of pre-existing use.

The criteria specify that "The words or phrases do not have to be
brand new, but they have to be newly
prominent or notable in the past year." Truthiness would seem to
qualify.

Regardless of how much you love or loathe "truthiness," though, it's
obviously a better choice than "bushlips" was back in '90.

        James Callan
        www.neologasm.com