yesteryear

Page Stephens hpst at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Jan 9 13:42:26 UTC 2006

Wilson,

FYI:

"Starring William Conrad as Matt Dillon, Parley Baer as Chester, Howard
McNear as Doc and Georgia Ellis as Kitty." You may remember William Conrad
later on as Cannon and Howard McNear as the barber on The Andy Griffith
Show. Conrad had one of the greatest radio voices ever. Ken Curtis who
played Festus on the tv version actually had a great voice and for several
years sang lead for The Sons of the Pioneers. He was also in his earlier
days a handsome cowboy in the movies.

I don't remember if I have ever put this up but it might be of interest to
someone on this list so this is as good a time as any.

Many years ago a friend on mine and I wrote a series of half hour radio
comedies for a local PBS station entitled, "I Stepped in Adventure."

In the process we learned that it takes as many pages to write a hal hour
radio script as it does to write an hour and a half tv program although
sitcoms might be an exception.

The problem with radio is that you can't have any dead time. In other words
since you lack the visual aspect you can't just write something like, "This
is the City. (pan a picture of Los Angeles)" etc. etc. etc., and chase
scenes are for the most part out and even if you include them you have to
include all sorts of bells and whistles (literally) in order to make them
interesting to the listener which is the reason that Richard and I included
a musical break in the middle of all our shows just to give the listener a
chance to relax.

Accents and dialects were also important so that you could break up the
monotony. The greatest American radio actor on this level was probably
Edgar Bergen who spoke not only as himself but Charlie McCarthy, Mortimer
Snerd and Effie Klinker although no one could ever do this as well as Peter
Sellers on the BBC "Goon Show".

The nature of the medium thus has a lot to do with linguistic usage.

I personally prefer radio comedies and dramas to tv if only because the
listener has to pay attention to what is going on.

Page Stephens

> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: yesteryear

---