"Ghetto" now (also) means "jury-rigged"?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Jan 9 23:38:36 UTC 2006

That answers part of my question:  "jury-rigged" [etc.] are senses of
"ghetto".  But while there is 4. below, there is also 3:

3. Jane hid her head in embarrasment [sic] as her mom shamelessly
committed the ghetto act of stuffing the restaurant's bread rolls,
sugar packets, and silverware in her purse
4. "A TV Guide duct-taped to a 4 foot stick?! That's one hella ghetto
'mote control!"

While 3. above may be "3. (adj.) poor; of or relating to the poor
life," it would correctly be viewed as stealing by the owner of the
items.  Bread and sugar Javert might have excused, but it was silver
that got Jean Valjean into trouble.  So perhaps acts "of or relating
to the poor life" may acquire the sense of acts of theft?

I'm still not sure, reading the hand-scanner instance, whether the
writer meant "jury-rigged" or "bootleg".

Joel