-stein names: -stine, or -steen?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Jan 12 01:34:16 UTC 2006

I have the impression that (American?  English?) reversed the
pronunciation of the two vowel forms, so that
      "ei"  German "aye'' became English "ee"
      "ie"  German "ee"  became English "aye"
(generally speaking).

I think this impression goes back to my high school German teacher,
who used this formula to induce the proper German pronunciation in us.

Joel