my personal woty

Dennis Baron debaron at UIUC.EDU
Thu Jan 12 03:26:08 UTC 2006

Speaking of truthiness, when NCTE gave Jon Stewart the George Orwell
Award for Excellence in Analyzing public discourse, he totally
ignored us, so whatever you think of truthiness, at least Stephen
Colbert acknowledged the gesture. My own candidate for WOTY for the
past 2 years running has been roadside bomb, a suggestion that no one
picks up on (not found in dictionaries, btw). See the following for
the google count (as of mid-December) and the Lexis/Nexis count for
Nov-Dec.:

Roadside Bomb: The Word of the Year for 2005

by Dennis Baron

The word of the year for 2005 – actually a phrase –  is roadside
bomb. It was my choice for word of the year for 2004, and in the
absence of an exit strategy for the war in Iraq, it looks to be the
word of the year for 2006 as well.

Although it’s not in any dictionary, roadside bomb is not a new
phrase. It appears in a 1979 AP story about Basque terrorists, and
roadside bombs were popular with insurgents in Lebanon and Bosnia.
“Roadside bomb” may not be as old as the related “car bomb,” used in
Northern Ireland in 1972, or “suicide bomber,” with a destructive
history going back at least to 1941. Nor is it as popular on the
Internet. Googling “roadside bomb” nets 1,010,000 hits, a three-fold
jump since last year. But car bombs are stronger, at over 3 million,
and suicide bombers lead the hit parade, with more than 3.74 million
served.

But unlike car bomb and suicide bomber, roadside bomb has a ring to
it that is both catchy and paradoxical. It combines the peaceful
image of the roadside café, the roadside stand, and the roadside rest
with the element of surprise provided by the explosion that typically
follows. And the explosion does follow: roadside bombs have become
the weapon of choice for Iraqi insurgents.

Like other wars, the war in Iraq affects not just the lives of
individuals and the course of history, it also changes the language
landscape. The two World Wars embedded terms like “Kilroy,” and
“radar” into English, not to mention catch phrases like “making the
world safe for democracy” and “peace in our time.” The first Gulf War
brought Saddam Hussein’s warning that American invaders would face
“the mother of all battles,” which proved a dud. But the phrase lived
on.

The second Gulf War also started with a slogan, “shock and awe,”
which backfired when the peace in Iraq proved deadlier than the war
it followed. GW II did bring “regime change” to Iraq – though we’re
still waiting to see what the regime will change into. “Spider hole,”
a vintage term from WW II, popped up briefly when Saddam Hussein was
found hiding in one, then faded away. But “weapons of mass
destruction,” a phrase that has proved more visible than the weapons
it refers to, is a keeper.

Roadside bombs deserve special recognition this year because in a
relatively short time they have carved out a deep niche – actually a
scar – in our lexicon.  Roadside bombs explode regularly in the news
as well as by the roadside.  According to Lexis/Nexis, roadside bombs
made the papers on twenty-six of the past thirty days, and it
wouldn’t surprise me if there’s a roadside bomb on today’s front page.

It’s the pervasive roadside bombs, car bombs, and suicide bombers,
not WMD’s, that are actually killing people.  According to the
Washington Post, they’re now causing half the American deaths in
Iraq.  The American military, which brought us “snafu” – situation
normal, all f***ed up – lumps these weapons of limited destruction
under the umbrella acronym IED, for “improvised explosive device.”
IED’s in turn lead to “hillbilly armor,” an improvised defensive
device – bits of scrap metal and ballistic glass – used by soldiers
to “uparmor” their trucks. Although Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld
clearly wants an army that doesn’t complain about snafus and
unprotected humvees, he admitted to the army that he has that even
real armor can’t stand up to roadside bombs.

It would be wonderful if roadside bombs proved as evanescent as the
weapons of mass destruction they replaced.  But with our troops
embedded in Iraq for the foreseeable future, “roadside bomb” is
assured not just a continuing place in the headlines, but also a
permanent place in the dictionary.