"oral sex" among th e Victorians + postil(l)ion

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jan 12 00:46:41 UTC 2006

I think the proper name "Venus" was a later formation in Latin, but
the lexical item _venus, veneris_ was certainly well established.
When I started to check on these it was to confirm my supposition
that the two "venery" words in English came from different sources,
so I was surprised to find (via the AHD4 Indo-European Dictionary of
Roots) that they're both from PIE wen- 'desire, strive for'.  Whether
Romans felt that the Latin verb ve:na:ri: 'to hunt' was related to
the noun _venus, -eris_ 'love' is an interesting question, but if the
answer is negative, as you suggest, it's an interesting case of
divergence and subsequent convergence (by Middle English, when
"venerie" was used for both), and it would necessitate rewording my
claim as "from the same ultimate Proto-Indo-European source by way of
separate developments in Latin", as you suggest.   Anyone have a time
machine handy?

>Sorry to take you so far away from oral sex.

That's OK, it's an ill lexicographical wind than blows no good.