-stein names: -stine, or -steen?

Dennis Baron debaron at UIUC.EDU
Thu Jan 12 18:12:00 UTC 2006

Nu, so how does all of this steen/stine/stain (as in the Berenstain
bears) explain the  leveen - levine variants?

When I was growing up one of my best friend's parents, who had come
from England, had early on in their marriage changed their name from
Stein to Steane not to reflect an original pronunciation but to have
a less Jewish-sounding name in the unwelcoming environment of the UK
(it was a literal case of "think British, speak Yiddish" --
acknowledging, as E. H. Gombrich put it, that whatever you do, you'll
always be a foreigner).

Back in Indianapolis, in a reverse of this process, a kind of early
roots trip, my stepfather when he was in college, and to the
consternation of his parents and sisters, changed his name from
Brown, which he dismissed as something an Ellis Island immigration
agent had foisted on his ignorant father, to what he felt was the
original eastern european Baron, complete with exaggerated uvular /r/.

And even my father, strongly anticolonial in his native pre-
independence India, and like all "orientals" not permitted to become
a citizen when he moved to the US, from a young age anglicized his
first and middle names from the original Hindi because, well, that's
what rich, educated expat Indians did in the 1920s.

I think Mel Brooks alludes to this particular name game best in his
movie "Young Frankenstein," when Gene Wilder has to correct the
pronunciation of his name repeatedly: "That's /fron kun steeeeen/ "
Igor is also EYE-gore in the movie, if I remember correctly, and of
course Igor reads "abnormal," the label on the brain jar in the lab,
as the name  "A. B. (or Abie) Normal" when he's sent to find a brain
to implant in the monster.

So far as I can tell, it's all a case of "walk this way."

Dennis