my personal woty

Dennis Baron debaron at UIUC.EDU
Thu Jan 12 23:52:51 UTC 2006

OK, Ron, despite the html that seems to fill your post on my
computer, which I can at least now read, OED does list dogfood,
without defining it, since it is transparent, as you say:  s.v.,
"dog. n., 19. General Comb.:    a. attributive, as dog-basket, -bite,
-breed, -couple, -doctor, -feast, -flesh, -food, -hospital, -leash, -
licence, -life, -muzzle, -pack, -show, -soap, -tax, -train, -truck, -
whistle, etc.; serving as food for dogs, as dog-bran, -cake, DOG-
BISCUIT, etc. Also in ref. to greyhound racing, as dog-race, -racer, -
racing, -track."

[uh, dogbran? keeps pets regular, or is it the chaff of dogs?]

But is transparency not also a factor in 'bookcase,' which merits a
full entry of its own, complete with definition of the obvious:
bookcase, a case for books? s.v. OED: "A case or cupboard for books;
a set of bookshelves shut in by doors, glazed or otherwise. Hence
bookcased ppl. a., bookcase-maker." And from our friends in
Springfield, MA ": a piece of furniture consisting of shelves to hold
books." And, courtesy of Bartleby.com, the even more imaginative "1)
bookcase. The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language:
Fourth Edition. 2000. ...A piece of furniture with shelves for
holding books...."

The roadside bomb is in fact not just a land mine (transparent, but
still defined in OED: "land-mine, (a) an explosive mine used on land;
(b) a bomb dropped by parachute from an aircraft;") or other sort of
bomb that happens to go off along the curb (kerb?) but an explosive
device often disguised to look like something else, and detonated
either by a triggering mechanism on the scene or remotely via cell
phone or garage door opener.

Dennis